The Operational Centre, which runs 24/7, is the hub for the exchange of data among Europol, EU Member States and third parties on criminal activity.
More than 30 specialists and analysts work in this high-security unit.
All of Europol’s operational and information and communications technology services are available to Member States. In addition, mobile offices can be deployed for on-the-spot support of operations in Member States, thus providing a live connection to Europol’s databases and platforms.
The Operational Centre:
- manages the constant flow of data between Europol and its operational partners;
- receives operational messages (hundreds per day);
- assesses the data to be included in Europol databases;
- supports law enforcement operations within and outside the EU;
- maintains a centralised cross-checking service against all existing data;
- produces analytical reports whenever common elements (“hits”) are found in crosschecks, thus making it possible to identify new trends and developments in the EU criminal landscape.