This selection procedure is intended to establish a reserve list of successful candidates (indicative number is 6) to be eventually used to fill available posts, including grant funded ones. Europol may retain the right to make use of the reserve list to select candidates for similar posts in the organisation, should business needs require so.
The post of Senior Agent - Testing is located in Test & Quality Assurance Team (C13-QA), ICT Department, Capabilities Directorate, within Governance Department Innovation Lab or as required by other potential grants.
Purpose of the post:
The holder of this position is mainly responsible for performing day-to-day testing activities in assigned projects by designing and executing test plans/cases that are to be executed in a manual and automated manner that includes structured and exploratory testing, developing/maintaining automated test scripts for regression testing and non-functional testing activities.
The incumbent reports to the Senior Specialist - Team Leader Quality Assurance (C13-QA).
BACKGROUND, MAIN PURPOSE AND TASKS OF THE POST
Reporting to the Senior Specialist - Team Leader Quality Assurance, the successful applicant will have to carry out the following main duties:
• Actively participate as a tester during the application development phase of in-house developed and/or outsourced applications;
• Define/maintain test cases and test conditions;
• Design/maintain test scripts for manual and automated testing;
• Execute various types of tests for solution quality assurance including non-functional testing;
• Document test results and defects;
• Execute end-to-end test process through various iterations (incl. support for user / operational acceptance testing);
• Perform any other task assigned by ICT Line Management to assist in dealing with ICT related issues.
REQUIREMENTS - ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
a. Candidates must
• Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
• Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws on military service;
• Produce appropriate character references as to his or her suitability for the performance of the duties;
• Be physically fit to perform the duties pertaining to the position (prior to appointment the successful candidate will be medically examined by one of the institution’s medical officers in order that the institution may be satisfied that the candidate fulfils the requirements of Article 12(2)(d) CEOS);
• Produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
b. Candidates must have
A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies preferably in the area of Computer Science, attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is at least 3 years.
Professional training of an equivalent level, and after having completed the training, at least the number of years of relevant professional experience as indicated below:
Duration of professional training Additional professional experience required for equivalency
More than 6 months and up to 1 year 3 years
More than 1 year and up to 2 years 2 years
More than 2 years 1 year
REQUIREMENTS - SELECTION CRITERIA
a. Professional experience (assessed mainly during the shortlisting):
In addition to the previous requirements, at least 4 years of relevant professional work experience in the following areas:
• Software testing on various test levels including user or operational acceptance testing;
• Test planning and test management;
• Design, Code and execution of automated regression tests on web applications based on Specflow/Cucumber with Selenium WebDriver and using a programming language, such as Java / C# (or other .NET languages);
• Design and execution of regression tests of APIs based on REST /SOAP web services using http client libraries such as RestSharp or RestAssured;
• Design and execution of non-functional tests covering at least 1 out of the 3 following test types:
- Penetration testing of technical ICT security;
- Efficiency testing (i.e. performance, load and stress testing);
- Reliability testing (i.e. fault tolerance, recoverability (e.g. backup and restore, failover/ fallback, disaster recovery, startup/ shutdown procedures));
b. Professional knowledge (assessed during the selection procedure - Written/Practical test and/or Interview)
• Knowledge of fundamental test process activities and DevOps concepts, (e.g. Continuous Testing) using a combination of experience-based, model-based and specification-based test techniques;
• Knowledge of how to design and code automated regression tests with Specflow/Cucumber & Selenium WebDriver and programmed in JAVA / C# (or other .NET languages) running in continuous integration and using a (unit) test automation framework;
• Knowledge of performance or security testing or in other non-functional disciplines or knowledge how to test ICT infrastructure (e.g. firewalls, networks, servers & workstations);
• Knowledge of how to test APIs implemented as REST/SOAP web services in XML/JSON using http client libraries such as RestSharp or RestAssured;
• Knowledge of SQL databases and Container technologies (Docker Swarm or Kubernetes);
• Knowledge of documenting test approaches/progress and defects.
c. General competencies (assessed during the selection procedure - Written/Practical test and/or Interview)
• Very good communication skills in English, both orally and in writing;
• Very good drafting skills and attention to detail.
Analysing & problem solving:
• Keen eye for detail with the ability to maintain standards of accuracy under pressure of tight deadlines;
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills including the ability to anticipate potential problems, to determine and to implement solutions;
• Competent user of Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and the internet.
Delivering quality and results:
• High degree of commitment and flexibility;
• High level of customer and service-orientation.
Prioritising and organising:
• Good administrative and organisational skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure, both independently and in a team;
• Very good interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively liaise with other departments, groups and teams as well as with external partners.
• Ability to work effectively in an international and multi-cultural environment.
All applications for Contract Agent posts must be submitted through the online recruitment system accessible via Europol’s website.
The Authority Authorised to Conclude Contracts of Employment (AACC) sets up a Selection Committee, which consists of at least three members, consisting of one chair and at least one member from the Administration of Europol and one member designated by the Staff Committee.
The Selection Committee determines candidates’ suitability for the position by assessing their skills, experience and qualifications against the established job profile and makes an initial selection from the applications received.
The Selection Committee will invite the 12 highest scoring candidates (shortlisted). All candidates having a score equal to the 12th highest scoring candidate will be included to the list of invited candidates.
Shortlisted applicants are invited to participate in a post-related selection procedure, generally consisting of written and/or practical tests and competency-based interviews.
The AACC takes a decision on appointment based on advice from the Selection Committee, and will inform the Selection Committee accordingly. The AACC has also the possibility to establish a reserve list of successful candidates, which is, in principle, valid for 12 months. The validity of the reserve list may be extended once, in principle, for 12 months. All candidates who attend the selection procedure will be informed of the outcome.
Candidates who attended a selection procedure may request feedback on their performance in the written test and interview within three months after the selection procedure. Europol will not be in a position to respond to feedback inquiries received outside this time frame.
The Selection Committee’s work and deliberations are confidential. It is forbidden for candidates to make direct or indirect contact with the members of the Selection Committee or for anyone to do so on their behalf. All enquiries or requests for information or documentation in relation to the competition should be addressed to the Europol Recruitment Team.
Detailed information on the selection procedure, including the appeal procedure is available in the Europol Recruitment Guidelines, which can be found on Europol’s website.
The AACC shall classify contract staff in their function group taking into consideration their qualifications and professional experience at the time of entry into service.
The basic monthly salary is:
Grade 13 (EUR 3,555.98), grade 14 (EUR 4,023.40) or grade 16 (EUR 5,150.62)
Grade Qualifications and professional experience
13 Less than 5 years
14 Between 5 years and 17 years
16 More than 17 years
Staff pay EU tax at source but salaries are exempt from national taxes. Compulsory deductions are made for medical insurance, pension and unemployment insurance.
Subject to the applicable conditions being met, as defined in the EU Staff Regulations (EUSR)/CEOS and further specified in the case law of the Court of Justice of the European Union, allowances such as expatriation allowance (16% of basic gross salary) or foreign residence allowance (4% of basic gross salary), household allowance, dependent child and / or education allowance may be granted.
Staff enjoy worldwide insurance coverage by the Joint Sickness Insurance Scheme (JSIS) and are insured against sickness, the risk of occupational disease and accident.
Europol offers flexible working arrangements, a comprehensive provision for annual leave as well as parental leave supporting a healthy work-life balance.
Indicative net salary sample calculation:
a) Staff member (single) in receipt of expatriation allowance (16%): for grade 13: EUR 3,943.02; for grade 14: 4,428.51, for grade 16: 5,555.04
b) Staff member with two dependent children in their custody in receipt of expatriation allowance (16%): for grade 13: EUR 5,568.48; for grade 14: 6,080.11, for grade 16: 7,295.30
The above information is indicative and for information purposes only. It is merely meant to give an indication of your possible net salary in light of the currently applicable amounts of the related allowances and the level of taxation. It has no legal value and no rights can be derived from it.
The information is based on figures applicable as of July 2020.
Engagement for this position is subject to the successful completion of a probationary period of 9 months. Within this period the successful candidate will have to undergo a post-related security screening.
In case of successive contracts under Article 3a) of the CEOS, a candidate may be exempt from the requirement to serve another probationary period in accordance with the provisions of the Decision of the Management Board of Europol of 4 October 2019 governing the conditions of employment of contract staff employed under the terms of Article 3a) thereof.
Europol reserves the right to terminate the contract of employment during or at the end of the probation period in accordance with Article 84 CEOS.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract of employment
The successful candidate will be recruited as Contract Agent FG IV pursuant to Article 3(a) of the CEOS.
Contract linked to duties not funded by an EU grant
The initial contract will be concluded for a fixed period of 4 years (full-time – 40 hours a week). The contract may be renewed, in principle, for a fixed period of 2 years. Any further renewal shall be for an indefinite duration.
Contract linked to duties of limited duration in time, funded by an EU grant
The initial contract will be concluded for a fixed period of between 13 months and 4 years (full-time – 40 hours a week, unless otherwise specified), depending on the requirements and duration of the grant-funded post. The contract may be further renewed for another fixed period and, subsequently, for an indefinite duration, subject to the interest of the service and the availability of an EU grant. The end of such funding constitutes a valid ground for non-renewal or termination of the contract.
In case of successive contracts under Article 3a) of the CEOS, the duration of the contract offered will be set in accordance with the provisions of the Decision of the Management Board of Europol of 4 October 2019 governing the conditions of employment of contract staff employed under the terms of Article 3a) thereof.
The place of employment will be The Hague, The Netherlands.
For further information on terms and conditions please consult the EUSR/CEOS available on Europol’s website.
Security screening and certificate of good conduct
Candidates who have been recruited to a post at Europol are required to furnish a valid certificate of good conduct before the start of their employment. The certificate of good conduct must be provided to Europol prior the signature of the employment contract. The certificate of good conduct must be issued by the relevant authorities of the country of nationality of the candidate and must not be older than three months at the time of submission to Europol. Europol reserves the right not to proceed with the signature of the contract based on the content of the certificate or if the candidate fails to provide the certificate to Europol.
The certificate of good conduct does not substitute a valid security clearance required for all Europol staff at the level indicated in the vacancy notice. Failure to obtain the requisite security clearance before the expiration of the probationary period may be cause for termination of the employment contract.
Candidates who currently hold a valid security clearance at the level indicated in the vacancy notice or above do not need to obtain a certificate of good conduct or a new security clearance and must provide a copy of the current security clearance certificate to Europol prior to the signature of the employment contract. Europol shall verify and confirm the continued validity of the security clearance. In case Europol determines that the security clearance is not valid, the candidate will be required to provide a valid certificate of good conduct prior to the signature of the employment contract. Europol may at any time terminate the employment contract if the result of the security screening is not positive and the necessary clearance level is not granted or extended.
The requested level of security clearance for this post is: CONFIDENTIAL UE/EU CONFIDENTIAL.
Europol is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications without distinction on the basis of gender, colour, racial, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, nationality, age, sexual orientation or gender identity.
We aim to create and maintain a healthy and attractive work environment that supports our colleagues in their career planning and in achieving a healthy work-life balance.
Employment at Europol is open to nationals of EU Member States. There is no nationality quota system in operation, but Europol is striving for a broad range of nationalities in order to keep a well-balanced geographical distribution among its staff members.
Europol respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal data. Your data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data applicable to Europol under Article 46 of the Europol Regulation.
For additional information, please consult the applicable privacy statement available on our website.
Statutory obligations upon leaving the service
Pursuant to Article 16 of the EU Staff Regulations, EU officials and, by analogy, temporary and contract agents continue to be bound by the duty to behave with integrity and discretion as regards the acceptance of certain appointments or benefits’ after leaving the service. Those staff members intending to engage in an occupational activity within two years of leaving the service shall inform their institution, so that it may take an appropriate decision in that respect. In cases where the intended activity is related to the work carried out by the staff member during the last three years of service and could lead to a conflict with the legitimate interests of the institution, the decision to be taken may include forbidding the staff member from undertaking it or giving its approval subject to any conditions it thinks fit.
Deadline for application: 24 March 2021, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone
Recruitment procedure: April / May 2021
APPLICATION PROCESS AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please refer to the EUROPOL RECRUITMENT GUIDELINES available on Europol’s website for further details on the application process and the selection procedure.
For further details on the application process please call +31 (0) 70 353 1146 or +31 (0) 70 353 1154.