Europol supports the law enforcement activities of the Member States by:
- facilitating the exchange of information between Europol and Europol Liaison Officers (ELOs). These ELOs are seconded to Europol by the Member States as representatives of their national law enforcement agencies, thus they are not under the command of Europol and its Director as such. Furthermore, they act in accordance with their national law.
- providing operational analysis and support to Member States’ operations;
- providing expertise and technical support for investigations and operations carried out within the EU, under the
- supervision and the legal responsibility of the Member States;
- generating strategic reports (e.g. threat assessments) and crime analysis on the basis of information and intelligence supplied by Member States or gathered from other sources.