In 2015, Europol set up operation Troika with Customs and Police authorities from Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and the UK. The taskforce focused on drug smuggling (mainly heroin, cocaine, cannabis and synthetic drugs) across Scandinavia and the UK. In the framework of the taskforce officers were able to identify numerous criminals as high-value targets and gather and develop intelligence from all EU countries. Joint days of action identified major drug transport operations to the UK, leading to large cocaine seizures. Operation Troika is still on-going and continues to gather intelligence with the aim to disrupt organised crime groups involved in drug trafficking.
Main results related to Taskforce Troika:
- 11 640kg of drugs worth more than €358 million seized
- 62 arrests
- 3 joint investigation teams set up
- Major drug transport operations discovered
- Criminal groups disrupted
- Numerous high-value targets put under investigation
- Drug concealment trends identified
Troika in a nutshell
- Gather, enhance and share information and intelligencEuropol analyses the operational information and intelligence
- Identify and monitor subjects of interest
- Identify modus operandi and movements
Headquartered in The Hague, the Netherlands, we support the 27 EU Member States in their fight against terrorism, cybercrime and other serious and organised forms of crime. We also work with many non-EU partner states and international organisations. From its various threat assessments to its intelligence-gathering and operational activities, Europol has the tools and resources it needs to do its part in making Europe safer.