ANNEX 1 OVERVIEW OF THE FAILED, FOILED AND COMPLETED ATTACKS IN 2016 PER EU MEMBER STATE AND PER AFFILIATION
In 2016, 142 terrorist attacks occurred in eight Member States. The United Kingdom reported more than half of the total number of attacks (76). The total number of terrorist attacks dropped by 33% in 2016 (142) compared to 2015 (211). 379 casualties and 142 fatalities were reported as a result of terrorist attacks.
- For the majority of the attacks the affiliation was separatism (99).
- Italy, Greece and Spain together reported 27 terrorist attacks by left-wing and anarchist groups. Despite the continued decrease of the total number of attacks, the number of attacks by anarchist and left-wing groups increased by more than 100% (from 13 in 2015 to 27 attacks in 2016).
- The countries reporting terrorist attacks linked to separatist terrorism are the UK (76), France (18) and Spain (5).
- The 13 attacks classified as religiously-inspired terrorism were reported by France (5), Belgium (4 ) and Germany (4). This category is the one causing the most casualties (374 out of 379) and 135 out of 142 fatalities).
- The Netherlands reported one right-wing terrorist attack.
- No attack related to single-issue terrorism was reported in 2016.
- Attacks in which firearms were used dropped from 57 in 2015 to 6 in 2016.